Hello everyone. I began writing this late Monday night, well before the end of the Broncos-Raiders games, certain of the outcome of that particular game. You've heard the term "safe as houses"? Well, that term doesn't count for much these days, so I'm replacing it with "safe as beating Oakland". The Broncos will beat the Raiders. The Raiders will beat the Raiders. My late grandmothers could run an effective zone blitz on the Raiders...while knitting.
So all that went down as expected, and we're left with two rookies dominating Week One, 2008.
In first is James Peters, who wins the Freshman 50. Looking back at the last several seasons, for whatever reason, first timers in this thing seem to get their money back almost instantly. James and I work together, so I know he understands well that things are rarely this easy.
In second this week is a former colleague, John Daley.
No no no, not that John Daley. Sorry. Our John Daley only smokes unfiltered Lucky Strikes. No, John and I go back to my days at Miller Brewing (now the MillerCoorsPiperJaffrayFedExBoeing joint venture), and remains a good friend.
As per usual requirements for rookie winners, James will be required to post a short bio within a few days...or one will be written for him.
Now, as for paying out cash money, you'll notice that our group has shrunk a bit, to 27 players. At this level it kind of doesn't make sense to pay out two winners a week (sorry John), as that would only leave token amounts for the overall winners at the end. So here's the math this time around:
Total pool: 27 players @ 50 = 1350
Weekly prize: 50 x 17 weeks = 850
This leaves 500 to divide amongst the overall winners. I propose:
250 for first
150 for second
75 for third
The usual 25 for the person who gets picks in every week but finishes with the worst point total overall. We fondly call this the Roo Award.
Anyone not in favor of this arrangement, please let me know. The Complaint Department is staffed daily (get it?) by Captain Haircut pictured above.
As always, I will for the most part pay out all winnings at the end of the season, which saves me check writing. Exceptions are gladly made upon request, or if I see you and happen to have the cash on me.
So welcome back everyone, and enjoy the season. I'll leave you tonight with this quotable from the NFL's youngest coach, Lane Kiffin of the Oakland Raiders:
"Oh f--k."
No comments:
Post a Comment