Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Four Score and Twelve Weeks Ago.

Last September 17th, I posted this from the balcony of a house on Maui, looking west over the Pacific Ocean. One year later, I am posting from a stuffy room looking south over Commerce Street. And yet, the story has changed hardly at all. There are no mangoes nearby. That's one difference.


BUT...the real story is that Sarah Schneider leads off the season with her now-customary win, though it was not quite the same 7 on the Richter scale that she uncorked last year at this time. Sarah has already paid for her season. "I'm cleanin' up, baby!" she was heard to exclaim, moments before she hotwired a street sweeper and sent it careening down Lombardi Avenue into midday traffic.

Anyway, the numbers this season are:
Total pool: 24 players @ 50 = 1200
Weekly prize: 50 x 17 weeks = 850
This leaves 350 to divide amongst the overall winners. I propose:
225 for first
100 for second

Yup, that's just TWO places payin' out in January, plus...

...25 for the Roo Award, which goes to the person who gets picks in every week but otherwise tanks it hard enough to finish dead last. We're small enough that I couldn't see paying out some token amount for third place, but the Roo Award is always good for yuks.



No comments: