Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Turn Out The Lights

The ball has dropped, the tree is at the curb, and it is with the usual seasonal melancholy that we shut down Friends of Smoove B for the year.  Tip of the hat to alpha-dog Jim Peters, who hit full stride a few weeks ago never looked back.  Total winnings on the year: 200.

It's unusual for the overall winner to be the undercard in the season wrap-up, but we need to talk about The Man.  What a year for The Man.  It is said that he led the NFL in receptions...despite being a quarterback.  That he completed 115% of his passes with a rating that has to be measured in scientific notation.  That he used a chain reaction to solve the Fiscal Cliff by generously tipping the right bartender.  You know how Cuba gets its cigars from the Most Interesting Man In The World?  Who do you suppose he gets them from?

I'm talking about Dean, of course, who I believe to be the first four-time winner since we started this pool in 1998.  He saved the best for last, using a furious rally to vault from somewhere totally off the radar in week 16 to second place overall finish following week 17.

Dean is the business half of Team Dean-Marlene.  I can say I've at least met Marlene once.  Can't say the same for the mysterious Dean, which I'm sure is by his choice and may be best for my safety.  Total winnings on the year: 250.


Speaking of which...

Payouts to winners will start heading out this week.  I would STRONGLY prefer to do this electronically via Dwolla or even the evil PayPal, but I'll defer to your request.  Have a look here.  A number in parentheses indicates an amount I owe you, and if you're one of those lucky folks, please drop me a note indicating electronic or check (or in person; I'm likely to see some of you).

If you see a positive number there, those are unpaid entry fees.  I count three of you at this writing.  Get 'em in, por favor.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all of you.  Assuming there are enough players, we'll do it all again starting about eight months from today.

Signing off, with a look outside at the setting sun and a wind chill of four degrees.  Ugh.  Good thing pitchers and catchers report in six weeks.

No comments: