Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Better Mousetrap. But Not Really.


A handful of you have done picks already. Nice!

For the rest of us, and that includes me: In addition to loading up their website with all manner of unnecessary bells and whistles, CBS mucked around with the mechanism by which we do our picks, and it’s causing some grief. Here’s how to deal with it:

  1. Read the instructions. Carefully. I wish I had before making that panicked call to Mike McCravens, who had figured it out.
  2. If those are unclear, observe:

Notice how I’m moving the Steelers/Browns game around in this screen cap. It’s my 16 now; when I drop it below the Seahawks game, it will become my 14, and the two games above will be assigned the 16 and 15. So select your winners first, then drag and drop each game until they’re in your preferred order, 16 at the top and 1 (3 when the byes start) at the bottom.

I’m kind of torn on this. Some programmers at CBS did mainly because they could, not because it’s useful. Technology for the sake of technology irritates me.

On the other hand, this mindset is 50% of what keeps me employed.

As a reminder, the regular season begins Thursday night. Picks are due an hour before gametime, and gametime is 8:30 eastern/7:30 central.

No comments: